DPWH: 2026 budget has zero funds for new flood control projects amid corruption scrutiny

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (January 5) — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Monday clarified that its proposed 2026 budget contains no funding for new locally funded flood control projects, debunking reports that P2.49 billion had been set aside for fresh infrastructure works.

In a statement, the DPWH said the P2.49-billion allocation is strictly for maintenance and other operating expenses of existing flood control facilities, including the national government’s Oplan Kontra Baha program.

“These funds are intended to support declogging, desilting, dredging, repair, and clearing of waterways and drainage systems nationwide,” the agency said, adding that it aims to mitigate flooding risks “despite fiscal constraints.”

The absence of funding for new flood control projects, the DPWH stressed, is in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’ directive to streamline government expenditures and tighten oversight on public works spending.

The clarification follows news reports claiming that P2.49 billion had been earmarked for flood control and drainage structures to be implemented across 18 regions.

The DPWH said these reports mischaracterized the allocation, which is limited to sustaining and repairing existing facilities.

The agency’s budget posture comes as the DPWH remains under intense public and congressional scrutiny over alleged ghost and substandard flood control projects, where billions of pesos in public funds were reportedly lost.

Critics argue that the lack of new funding underscores lingering questions over accountability and the effectiveness of past flood control spending, especially as communities continue to suffer from recurring floods.

The DPWH said it remains committed to maximizing available resources while complying with reforms aimed at preventing corruption and improving project quality.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Aleson Resumes Domestic Sailings, but Sabah Repatriation Run Still Hangs on Maritime Clearance

Kota Kinabako, Malaysia (August 16) — Maritine authorities has authorized the resumption of passenger operations by Aleson...

Bonoan: Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa ‘Leadership Fund’

DAKBAYAN SA DAVAO (Agosto 15)—Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa miaging Kongreso og dili mo menus sa...

Mindanao Has the Minerals. Will Pax Silica Bring the Value?

DAVAO CITY (August 15) — Mindanao could become one of the Philippines’ most important sources of the minerals...

Quiboloy extradition: Treaty obligations, due process and the death penalty question

MANILA (August 15) — The Philippine government is preparing to surrender Pastor Apollo Quiboloy to the United States...