Groups slam Parlade’s red-tagging of Mindanaoan lawyer, warn of danger to legal profession

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY (January 5) — Human rights groups and lawyers’ organizations in Mindanao condemned a social media post by former military general Antonio Parlade Jr., calling it a renewed act of red-tagging that endangers lawyers and undermines the justice system.

The Karapatan-Southern Mindanao Region (Karapatan-SMR) said Parlade’s post targeting human rights lawyer Tony La Viña puts the legal profession at risk by vilifying lawyers who represent marginalized communities and defend civil liberties.

Karapatan-SMR deputy secretary-general Grecian Asoy said Parlade’s accusations resurface despite an August 2023 Ombudsman ruling that reprimanded the former general for similar conduct.

Parlade’s Facebook post, titled “Who is Atty. Tony La Viña and why he loves the CPP so much,” alleged that La Viña defends activists because he is sympathetic to the Communist Party of the Philippines—a claim rights groups say is baseless and dangerous.

Parlade previously served as commander of the Southern Luzon Command and as spokesperson of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) in 2021.

Asoy cited the Supreme Court ruling in Deduro v. Vinoya, which recognizes red-tagging as a threat to life, liberty, and security, saying Parlade’s statements undermine the high court’s pronouncement.

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Aleson Resumes Domestic Sailings, but Sabah Repatriation Run Still Hangs on Maritime Clearance

Kota Kinabako, Malaysia (August 16) — Maritine authorities has authorized the resumption of passenger operations by Aleson...

Bonoan: Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa ‘Leadership Fund’

DAKBAYAN SA DAVAO (Agosto 15)—Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa miaging Kongreso og dili mo menus sa...

Mindanao Has the Minerals. Will Pax Silica Bring the Value?

DAVAO CITY (August 15) — Mindanao could become one of the Philippines’ most important sources of the minerals...

Quiboloy extradition: Treaty obligations, due process and the death penalty question

MANILA (August 15) — The Philippine government is preparing to surrender Pastor Apollo Quiboloy to the United States...