DSWD to validate report on bukbok-infested rice in Davao Sur

Date:

Share post:

DAVAO CITY — The regional office of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has instructed its disaster division to validate reports that rice distributed in some areas are infested with weevils or bukbok.

DSWD XI OIC-Regional Director Grace Q. Subong, instructs disaster division staff to validate report on bukbok-infested rice surfacing on social media.

The DSWD is getting its rice stock from the National Food Authority.

“This is the first report we have received since the relief operations in October. Not one local government unit informed us either through verbal or written of same instances,” she said.

If found true, Subong assures the public that such rice packs will be replaced immediately.

In August last year, The National Food Authority (NFA) said sacks of rice infested with rice weevil (bukbok) are still safe for public consumption after these undergo fumigation.

It was also reported that over 100,000 sacks of rice infested with rice weevils at the Subic Bay Freeport Zone. The sacks of rice were imported from Thailand.

Recent social media posts revealed that the government supplied rice is infested with bukbok but the government states–eating bukbok infested rice is not harmful.-Editha Z. Caduaya

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Aleson Resumes Domestic Sailings, but Sabah Repatriation Run Still Hangs on Maritime Clearance

Kota Kinabako, Malaysia (August 16) — Maritine authorities has authorized the resumption of passenger operations by Aleson...

Bonoan: Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa ‘Leadership Fund’

DAKBAYAN SA DAVAO (Agosto 15)—Tanang Senador nakakuha og bahin sa miaging Kongreso og dili mo menus sa...

Mindanao Has the Minerals. Will Pax Silica Bring the Value?

DAVAO CITY (August 15) — Mindanao could become one of the Philippines’ most important sources of the minerals...

Quiboloy extradition: Treaty obligations, due process and the death penalty question

MANILA (August 15) — The Philippine government is preparing to surrender Pastor Apollo Quiboloy to the United States...