Duterte distributes aid to fire victims in Zamboanga City

Date:

Share post:

ZAMBOANGA CITY — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte led the distribution Thursday of relief assistance to the survivors of a blaze here, promising them to rebuild their houses soon.

At least 403 families in Barangay Labuan were affected by fire last July 22, with the city’s fire bureau putting the total damage at P4 million.

President Duterte ordered that each family be given P15,000 financial assistance.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) also gave P5,000 while another P1,500 came from Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation and P1,500
from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office.

The city government has so far provided food assistance and also put up a community kitchen for the fire survivors.

Aside from cash support, the DSWD also provided food assistance, which is good for one week.

During his visit, the President promised the fire survivors to build them new houses as soon as the local government could identify
new relocation site.

The mass housing project will be similar to the ones being constructed in Marawi City.

He said he would instruct the government’s housing czar Eduardo del Rosario to go to Zamboanga City this week to assess the situation and craft plan on how to rebuild the shelters for fire survivors.

“Hintayin ninyo si Del Rosario. I will give you the houses,” Duterte said.

To boost economic activity, the Chief Executive reiterated the idea of restarting barter trade in the region.

He stressed that improving the local economy could enhance regional peace and security.

“Kaya kung ako ang maglagay ng barter trade, sundin lang ninyo kung
ano ‘yung patakaran ng gobyerno, wala na kayong problema kailanman. Ganun lang ‘yan eh,” he said.

“Noong pre-Spanish time, barter trade was going on. During the Spanish time, American, hanggang nasarahan ni Marcos. Gusto kong buksan. Gusto ko kayong bigyan ng opportunity na mabuhay,” he added.-PND

spot_img

Related articles

Tabang: A Final Cry at Sea- 57 Dead, 316 Survivors and the Shipping Failures That Must Be Answered

DAVAO CITY (February 16) ---At 12:56 a.m., on January 26, as darkness swallowed the sea near the Baluk-baluk...

MILF Leader Backs Marcos’ Push for Priority Bills, Urges Action on Long-Delayed BARMM Polls

COTABATO CITY (February 16) — A senior official of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has welcomed President...

ICC Pressed to Arrest Duterte’s Alleged Drug War Allies as Hearings Near

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (February 16) — With a crucial hearing days away, an international rights coalition is...

Children’s book illustrators gather in Lake Sebu for national workshop amplifying unheard voices

LAKE SEBU, South Cotabato (February 16) — In a lakeside town known for its rich Tboli heritage, twelve...