NAIA security arrested for stealing phone

Date:

Share post:

A security screening officer was arrested for allegedly stealing a mobile phone at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1, the Office for Transportation Security (OTS) bared on Tuesday.

The alleged theft happened around 6:30 p.m. Monday when Rudolf Aquinde apparently took a mobile phone from a charging station inside the terminal, OTS Public Affairs Division officer-in-charge Kim Marquez told the Philippine News Agency.

The OTS on Tuesday said that upon review of the security camera footage, Aquinde was seen taking the mobile phone and placing it inside his safety vest.

The phone reportedly belongs to an airport wheelchair attendant.

“The APD (Airport Police Department) immediately went down to the baggage make-up area and identified Aquinde who was then wearing the same vest and eyeglasses. The latter was invited for inquiry, and during this time, Aquinde took out from his pocket the said missing mobile phone, and he was subsequently arrested,” the OTS report stated.

Marquez said that at around 10 p.m., Aquinde was brought to the Police Intelligence and Investigation Division for further investigation and subsequent inquest proceedings.

OTS Administrator Ma. O Ranada Aplasca visited Aquinde at the APD headquarters.

Aquinde told Aplasca he had previously returned items left at the airport.

The theft happened on his way to seeing his wife, also an airport worker.

“OTS din? OTS ang bumubuhay sa inyo. Hindi nyo pa bigyan ng magandang pangalan (She’s also from OTS? The OTS is your source of income. You should protect its reputation),” Aplasca told Aquinde.

The OTS said filing of criminal and administrative charges against its employees who committed offenses is in line with its continuing thrust to get rid of scalawags. (PNA) 

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Ombudsman urged to probe P4.4-B Davao flood projects over ‘ghost work,’ double payments

MANILA  (May 20) — Questions over billions of pesos in flood control spending in Davao City have reached...

New emergency power deal aims to shield MisOcc towns from outages

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY  (May 20) — Consumers in several towns and cities in Misamis Occidental could see...

BARMM housing project gives Maguindanao Sur families safer homes, fresh start

COTABATO CITY  (May 20) — For dozens of poor families in Barangay Katil, receiving the keys to a...

Save the bees, save Samal mangoes, growers told

DAVAO CITY  (May 20) — Farmers in Island Garden City of Samal are being urged to protect native...