PH-China inks “comprehensive strategic cooperation” on West Philippine Sea

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (November 20) – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and Chinese President Xi Jinping has decided to deal and manage the contentious issues in the West Philippine Sea through a “comprehensive strategic cooperation.”

“The President and I both agreed to elevate our relationship into one of comprehensive strategic cooperation. This vision charts a clear course for China-Philippines relations and sends a strong message to the world that our two countries are partners in seeking common development,” Chinese President Xi Jinping said.

He also commended President Duterte on his leadership to create a bright prospect of economic and social development.  “I commend President Duterte for his leadership under which the people of this country have actively searched for, and found, a development path in sync with the trend of the times and the Philippines’ reality and have created a bright prospect of economic and social development.”

Last month, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said during his visit that the Philippines and China can shelve their maritime claims for the sake of joint development in the West Philippine Sea.

“We stand ready to stand by the Philippines and will always be your most sincere and trustworthy friend,” Foreign Minister Wang Yi said.  “China has never been, and will never be a rival to the Philippines, even as a threat. It is ready to further discuss with the Philippines on the joint development of oil and gas in the South China Sea, to shelve differences and pursue its joint development,” he added.  – NewsLine

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Extreme heat forces Zamboanga schools to suspend face-to-face classes

ZAMBOANGA CITY (August 17)  — While heavy rains and storms are forcing schools in parts of Luzon to...

DND hits back at Beijing over Misamis raid: ‘Admission of culpability’

MANILA (August 17)  — A dispute over the arrest of 69 Chinese nationals at a steel plant in...

P9.75-billion free college fund raises question: Can ‘free’ education stay financially sustainable?

MANILA (August 17)  — The government's release of P9.75 billion for free higher education offers much-needed relief to...

BARMM polls stay on despite ambush, but violence tests Bangsamoro transition

COTABATO CITY (August 17)  — The ambush of Bangsamoro Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua has not been enough...