Report persons making illegal offers for 2019 polls: Comelec

Date:

Share post:

MANILA (November 19) — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has urged the public to report to them individuals or groups who are making illegal offers on election matters.

Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez made the appeal following the arrest of an individual allegedly asking money from political aspirants with promises of being able to compromise the automated election system (AES) to be used in the 2019 mid-term elections.

“We are glad that criminals like these are being exposed and are being apprehended, and we are not ruling out the possibility of, in the proper cases, pursuing such legal remedies as are available to the Comelec, to protect the integrity and credibility of the electoral system,” he said in a statement.

“We encourage everyone to stay vigilant and report to the Comelec anyone making such useless and illegal offers,” Jimenez added.

On the other hand, he assured candidates that the “AES is fair and secure and will count the votes correctly. The will of the people shall prevail”.

The poll body official explained that the AES used in the last three polls and will be utilized in next year’s elections, has proven to be successful.

“The AES, implemented by the Comelec in 2010, 2013, 2016 and again in the coming 2019 National and Local Elections, has proven to be effective in ensuring the integrity of election results,” he said.

“So far, it has been very accurate in counting the votes, and there remains no evidence of anyone being able to use any component of the AES — from the precinct-based Vote Counting Machines to the Consolidated Canvassing System — to cheat in favor of any candidate or group of candidates,” Jimenez added.  (PNA)

spot_img

Related articles

Children’s book illustrators gather in Lake Sebu for national workshop amplifying unheard voices

LAKE SEBU, South Cotabato (February 16) — In a lakeside town known for its rich Tboli heritage, twelve...

BARMM Pushes Halal Trade, New Air–Sea Links at BIMP-EAGA Meet in Bandar Seri Begawan

Photo courtesy: Bangsamoro Autonomous Region COTABATO CITY (February 16) — The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) stepped...

SEC Flags ‘Seagull’ Online Investment Scheme Targeting Caraga Residents

BUTUAN CITY (February 14)  — The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has warned investors in Caraga against an...

From Backyard Coop to ₱550K Enterprise: Siargao Women-Farmers Crack Success in Egg Production

SURIGAO CITY, Surigao del Norte (February 14) — In a quiet barangay on Siargao Island better known for...