Measles spike prompts massive vaccination drive in Sibugay

Date:

Share post:

Zamboanga Sibugay (May 28 ) –The Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) has been tasked to conduct a massive campaign to contain the rise of measles cases in this province.

Gov. Wilter Palma issued the order on Monday after his office received the IPHO report indicating a high number of recorded dengue cases since January this year.

IPHO recorded 133 cases of measles for the first quarter of this year, up by 20 cases from 113 registered in the same period of last year.

An additional 23 cases have been recorded for the month of April until May 18, this year, or for a total of 156 measles cases registered since January.

Palma said the alarming spike of measles cases since January requires “a pro-active response from the provincial government.”

“In order to protect our children and save lives, it is mandatory that the provincial health office must conduct a massive anti-measles vaccination whenever applicable,” he said.

The IPHO has set a goal to immunize 75,000 children aged six to 59 months throughout this province.

“We would like to assure our people that the provincial government is committed in keeping our children free from a preventable disease like measles through timely intervention,” Palma said.

Last week, the Department of Health launched the “Ligtas Tigdas” campaign providing free measles vaccination to young children. -PNA

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

Undocumented Chinese Workers, Hazardous Steel Raise Security Concerns in PHIVIDEC

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Philippines (May 18) — What initially appeared to be a simple labor and...

ICC sets stage for Duterte drug war trial as defense raises health concerns

DAVAO CITY  (May 18) --- The long-awaited international trial over Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody drug war may finally begin...

Butuan closes maternal care gap for remote villages

BUTUAN CITY  (May 18) --- In the upland villages of Butuan City, childbirth once meant a dangerous race...

PNP under fire as probe digs into alleged police escort for Bato

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY  (May 18) --- The Philippine National Police now finds itself battling questions of credibility...