S. Korean officials to meet with gov’t panel on waste shipment

Date:

Share post:

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — Representatives of the South Korean government are scheduled to meet Filipino officials and private sector representatives Thursday morning (June 13) at the Phividec Industrial Estate in Misamis Oriental Province, where the remaining 5,000 metric ton wastes have yet to be sent back.

Misamis Oriental 2nd District Rep. Juliette Uy said she will be one of the attendees in the meeting, together with other Mindanaoan lawmakers.

“Details of returning the remaining Verde Soko garbage are expected to be ironed out during the bilateral meeting,” Uy said, referring to the local company that imported the trash.

The wastes are part of the garbage shipments from South Korea that Verde Soko imported in batches from the said country last year and early this year.

The shipments caused an uproar from environmental groups and local officials despite assurance from the company that the wastes will be used at its recycling facility.

“I hope the Verde Soko officials show their faces there, take responsibility, and shoulder the shipping costs, so the South Korean government would not have to. It is good to note the assurance, disclosed by Customs Commissioner Rey Guerrero, of the South Korean government to shoulder the shipping cost,” Uy added.

Meanwhile, John Simmon, Bureau of Customs collector for the Mindanao Container International Terminal, said the South Korean government has expressed commitment in repatriating the garbage should Verde Soko fail to follow the repatriation order issued by the agency. -PNA

RIZAL MEMORIAL COLLEGEspot_img

Related articles

SC clears way for Bato arrest over ICC warrant — DOJ

MANILA (May 23) — The arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court against Ronald dela Rosa can...

Sara impeachment trial puts accountability test before Senate

MANILA (May 23)— The Senate’s planned impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte is shaping up not only...

PNP launches manhunt for Bato after SC clears ICC arrest

MANILA (May 23) — The net is tightening around Sen. Bato dela Rosa. The Philippine National Police on Friday...

Macacua takeover of BARMM education ministry exposes widening rift in MILF leadership

COTABATO CITY  (May 22) — The takeover of the Bangsamoro education ministry by Abdulraof Macacua has deepened tensions...